You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Many governments think that economic progress is their most important goal. Some people, however, think that other types of progress are equally important for a country.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience. You should write at least 250 words.
2. RESOURCES (use the link for detailed information):
17 SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (https://www.government.se/government-policy/the-global-goals-and-the-2030-Agenda-for-sustainable-development/ )
Goal 1: No poverty
Goal 2: Zero hunger
Goal 3: Good health and well-being
Goal 4: Quality education
Goal 5: Gender equality
Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation
Goal 7: Affordable and clean energy
Goal 8: Decent work and economic growth
Goal 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Goal 10: Reduced inequalities
Goal 11: Sustainable cities and communities
Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production
Goal 13: Climate action
Goal 14: Life below water
Goal 15: Life on land
Goal 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions
Goal 17: Partnerships
3. DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1. In what way is economic progress linked to other possible goals?
2. Which equally important goals would you mention in your essay?
3. Why are other goals important? Give reasons and develop them.
4. What real examples can you give? (Choose a country and its government’s recent outcomes –positive example vs a country where the government has failed to address any of the mentioned issues-negative example)
5. What predictions can you make (for the concluding paragraph) regarding goals that are going to become the most important (personal opinion/articles you have read/documentaries you have watched)?
4. TED TALKS:
(Michael Green, Economist, social progress expert)
Feel free to